Eric also enjoys assisting Rock Hutchinson, PLLP’s partners in counseling clients on regulatory compliance and antitrust issues. In particular, Eric has helped advise clients on a broad range of food labeling and compliance issues, and his litigation experience enables him to research and analyze the various risks associated with various food law issues and labeling claims. He has also researched and helped to counsel clients as to the the effects of antitrust statutes and case law on various issues which confront product manufacturers, including with respect to a number of horizontal and vertical restraint issues such as resale price management policies, minimum advertised price policies, and most favored nation clauses.
Eric joined Rock Hutchinson, PLLP after spending several years at a mid-size firm in Washington, DC, where he represented clients in federal and state litigation in over a dozen jurisdictions, as well as before several arbitration panels. He has worked extensively on consumer regulatory lawsuits, including those brought pursuant to the FCRA, the FDCPA, and the TCPA; Eric has also litigated cases involving the False Claims Act, commercial torts, contract disputes, and government contracting improprieties. Eric also assisted in internal investigations covering subjects from pharmaceutical marketing to medical billing.
Eric’s deep interest in technology and its influence on the practice of law have led him to build experience and expertise in the rapidly growing fields of electronic discovery and technology-assisted review. In turn, this enables him to represent clients through the litigation process in an individually-tailored and cost-effective way.
Eric also values deep engagement in the legal profession and the community. He has previously served in leadership and committee positions within the ABA’s Young Lawyers Division, the Judicial Division’s Lawyers’ Committee, and the Virginia Bar Association, to name a few. Eric served on the Associate’s Committee at his previous firm. He also is an active alumnus of Gustavus Adolphus College, and served on the alumni reunion committee and as a mentor for undergraduate students.
Contact Eric by emailing him at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling (612) 573-3668.
- Litigated Cases in Numerous Jurisdictions, including over a dozen federal courts, state courts in the District of Columbia, Florida, Maryland, and Virginia, and before panels of JAMS and AAA
- In a Fair Credit Reporting Act lawsuit, successfully moved for the dismissal of two common-law defamation claims on a novel theory of FCRA preemption
- Achieved the dismissal of three of four FCRA counts filed against a consumer reporting agency; the remaining count settled for nuisance value
- Filed a motion to dismiss in an FCRA, FDCPA, and defamation action which resulted in the withdrawal of opposing counsel, dismissal of all claims against the client, and sanctions against the plaintiff
- Represented small veteran- and woman-owned radiopharmaceutical companies in over a dozen bid protests before the Government Accountability Office and achieved desired corrective action in over 90% of cases; received two extremely rare awards of attorneys’ fees from GAO
- Successfully overcame a broad motion to dismiss an antitrust complaint targeting the monopoly power of a hospital system in a major metropolitan area
- Defended individual client against the application of a nationwide non-competition agreement
- Represented healthcare company in government False Claims Act investigation and helped obtain the dismissal of two related qui tam False Claims Act actions filed by former employees
- Assisted with the defense of a publicly-traded corporation in a Telephone Consumer Protection Act class action lawsuit
- Litigated an international contract dispute before the United States District Court for the Southern District of Florida and the Judicial Arbitration and Mediation Service
- Represented numerous companies which were served with subpoenas, including by negotiating the scope of subpoenas, producing documents, attending depositions, and, when necessary, quashing those subpoenas
- American Bar Association – Young Lawyers’ Division; Litigation Section; Criminal Law Section; Technology and Law Section
- Bar Association of the District of Columbia – Young Lawyers’ Division
- Fairfax County Bar Association (past member)
- National Association of Public Background Screeners (past member)
- Swedish American Chamber of Commerce
- Virginia Bar Association – Young Lawyers’ Division, Litigation Section
- District of Columbia
- United States District Court for the District of Columbia
- United States District Court for the District of Minnesota
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- United States District Court for the Western District of Virginia
PRIOR PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE:
- Litigation, Consumer Regulatory, and Government Contracts Associate — Arnall Golden Gregory LLP, 2014-2016
- Law Clerk to the Hon. Anita Josey-Herring – District of Columbia Superior Court, 2011-2013
- Pro Bono Associate — Howrey LLP, 2011
- Judicial Fellow – District of Columbia Superior Court, 2010-2011
- Georgetown University Law Center
- J.D., 2010
- Executive Editor, American Criminal Law Review
- CALI Excellence for the Future Award
- Pro Bono Pledge Honoree
- Gustavus Adolphus College
- B.A., 2007, magna cum laude, Honors Philosophy and Political Science
- Honors: Phi Beta Kappa, Guild of St. Ansgar, Pi Sigma Alpha, Dean’s List, President’s List
- Activities: Senior Collegiate Fellow; Columnist, Gustavian Weekly; Lighting and Sound, I Am We Are theatre group; Big Partner Mentoring Group
PRO BONO AND VOLUNTEER ACTIVITIES:
- American Bar Association Judicial Internship Opportunity Program
- Bread for the City Legal Clinic, Washington, D.C.
- Catholic Charities Legal Network, Washington, D.C.
- District of Columbia Superior Court Consumer Law Center
- District of Columbia Superior Court Landlord Tenant Resource Center
- District of Columbia Volunteer Lawyers Program
- Gustavus Adolphus College Mentoring Program
August 2016, DOJ Files Suit to Enjoin Health Insurance Industry Consolidation, Arnall Golden Gregory LLP (with Jeffrey S. Jacobovitz)
August 2015, Antitrust Implications of Recent FTC Patent-Related Agreement, Arnall Golden Gregory LLP (with Jeffrey S. Jacobovitz)
August 2015, Recent Appellate FTC-Related Cybersecurity Ruling, Arnall Golden Gregory LLP (with Jeffrey S. Jacobovitz)
July 2015, Consider Making an Offer of Judgment: Encouraging Settlement and Laying the Foundation to Receive Attorneys’ Fees, Arnall Golden Gregory LLP Litigation Newsletter
April 2015, The Federal Trade Commission Acquiesces to Georgia CON Laws, Arnall Golden Gregory LLP (with Jeffrey S. Jacobovitz)
March 2015, Implications of Recent Class Action Filings Related to Contact Lenses, Arnall Golden Gregory LLP (with Jeffrey S. Jacobovitz)
February 2015, Ninth Circuit Upholds Antitrust Ruling in Merger of Healthcare Providers, Arnall Golden Gregory LLP (with Jeffrey S. Jacobovitz)
September 2015, Recent FTC “Pay-For-Delay” Development, Arnall Golden Gregory LLP (with Jeffrey S. Jacobovitz)
Halverson, Andrea C. & Eric D. Olson, “False Statements and False Claims,” Annual Survey of White Collar Crime, 46 AM. CRIM. L. REV. 555 (2009)