Provides general counsel to farmers, producers, creameries and cooperatives, including issues related to Capper-Volstead and California’s Prop 2.
REPRESENTATIVE AGRIBUSINESS LITIGATION EXPERIENCE:
- Currently lead counsel defending one of the largest egg producers in the United States in In Re: Processed Egg Products Antitrust Litigation, (MDL No 2002 E.D. PA.), a nationwide class action consolidated in the Eastern District of Pennsylvania. The direct purchaser class case settled against client for no economic renumeration. The claims of several opt-out plaintiffs are proceeding.
- Defended and successfully settled nine-figure claims against a leading grain and natural gas supplier by the creditors of a bankrupt ethanol producer.
- Defended a national retail chain in a class action alleging the false and deceptive labeling of organic milk.
- Defended and successfully arbitrated breach of contract, unjust enrichment and account stated claims for a leading dairy producer.
- Defended a California food grower in an employment class action alleging violations of California’s wage and hour laws.
- Obtained favorable resolution for a biofuel client against an engineering firm hired to construct a biofuel refinery based on claims of professional malpractice and fraud.