Troy was most recently recognized on the 2014 Minnesota Super Lawyers® list that will be published in Minnesota Super Lawyers magazine, Mpls. St. Paul Magazine, and Twin Cities Business magazine. Minnesota Super Lawyers is a designation given to only 5 percent of Minnesota attorneys each year.
Troy’s practice is focused on defending business entities in a full range of litigation matters from large class actions and other complex matters to small contract disputes. Troy manages litigation matters to provide effective and efficient representation. In addition to handling litigation, he also assists clients on strategies to avoid disputes and mitigate risks. Troy helps clients draft and negotiate contracts and provides general counseling services to a variety of clients. He is currently serving as outside general counsel to one of the nation’s largest egg producers.
Contact Troy by emailing him at email@example.com or by calling him at (952) 215-0141.
REPRESENTATIVE LITIGATION EXPERIENCE:
- Won pre-discovery summary judgment in federal court on behalf of ATM owner in class action litigation.
- Currently lead counsel defending one of the largest egg producers in the United States in In Re: Processed Egg Products Antitrust Litigation, (MDL No 2002 E.D. PA.), a nationwide class action consolidated in the Eastern District of Pennsylvania. The direct purchaser class case settled against client for no economic renumeration. The claims of several opt-out plaintiffs are proceeding.
- Negotiated an early $0 settlement on behalf of a local bank in an ADA lawsuit.
- Represented global food and beverage company in food labeling lawsuit.
- Defended a national retail chain in a class action alleging the false and deceptive labeling of organic milk.
- Defended a California food grower in an employment class action alleging violations of California’s wage and hour laws.
- Resolved a product liability claim against a beverage client brought by a consumer.
- Obtained a $0 settlement on behalf of a beverage client in an action alleging claims of trademark infringement and unfair competition under the Lanham Act in federal court in Minnesota.
- Negotiated a non-monetary settlement on behalf of a food company in a trademark infringement action venued in the Western District of Texas.
- Settled case just prior to trial for significant sum in favor of Australian Investment Banking firm against joint venturer accused of misappropriation of corporate opportunity and breach of fiduciary duty during development of a biodiesel refinery.
- Obtained favorable resolution for a biofuel client against an engineering firm hired to construct a biofuel refinery based on claims of professional malpractice and fraud.
- Effectively enforced non-compete agreement against former employee and new employer.
- Worked on numerous antitrust class actions, including: In re Cathrode Ray Tube (CRT) Antitrust Litigation (MDL No. 05-cv-0979(N.D. Cali.)); In re Ready-Mixed Concrete Antitrust Litigation (05-cv-0979 (S.D. Ind.)); and Bulk Graphite Antitrust Litigation (D. N.J.).
- Involved in various other class actions, including: Activated Carbon-Based Hunting Clothing Marketing and Sales Practices Litigation (MDL No. 2059 D. Minn.) (Consumer fraud claims against outdoor clothing companies for false advertising); and Lawnmower Engines Horsepower Marketing & Sales Practices Litigation (MDL No. 1999 E.D. Wis.) (Alleging RICO, consumer fraud, civil conspiracy and unjust enrichment claims against manufacturers of lawn mowers and lawn mower engines).
FOOD, BEVERAGE, AGRIBUSINESS AND COOPERATIVES:
Troy has significant experience serving as general counsel to food and beverage clients, including assisting them in the development of legal risk management strategies and compliance programs designed to minimize risk exposure. Read more…
- University of Minnesota Law School, J.D. cum laude
- University of Wisconsin-Madison, B.A.
Following law school, served a two-year clerkship with United States Magistrate Judge Raymond L. Erickson