Business Litigation And Counsel
Troy J. Hutchinson
Prior to starting his own firm, Troy Hutchinson was an equity shareholder at Briggs and Morgan and also worked as an attorney at Stoel Rives, a national law firm based on the West Coast. Mr. Hutchinson brings big firm experience to Rock Hutchinson PLLP, a boutique firm, to uniquely offer clients the best of both worlds.
In every year since 2013, Troy has been recognized on the Minnesota Super Lawyers® list published in Minnesota Super Lawyers magazine, Mpls. St. Paul Magazine, and Twin Cities Business magazine. Minnesota Super Lawyers is a designation given to only 5 percent of Minnesota attorneys each year. Prior to 2013, Troy had been recognized as a Rising Star®.
Troy's practice is focused on defending business entities in a full range of litigation matters, from large class actions and other complex matters to small contract disputes, trademark disputes, and employment litigation. Troy's experience includes assisting clients in the regulatory process with USDA, FDA, DOJ and other federal and state regulatory bodies. Troy manages litigation matters to provide effective and efficient representation. In addition to handling litigation, he also assists clients on strategies to avoid disputes and mitigate risks. Troy helps clients draft and negotiate contracts and provides general counseling services to a variety of industries. He also serves as outside general counsel to several food and agribusiness clients.
Contact Troy by emailing him at [email protected] or by calling him at (612) 743-3164.
- University of Minnesota Law School, Minneapolis, Minnesota
- Honors: cum laude
- University of Wisconsin
- Honors: Certificate in Criminal Justice
- Major: Behavioral Science and Law
- Major: Sociology
- U.S. District Court District of Colorado
- Currently lead counsel defending one of the largest egg producers in the United States in In Re: Processed Egg Products Antitrust Litigation, (MDL No 2002 E.D. PA.), a nationwide class action consolidated in the Eastern District of Pennsylvania. The direct purchaser class case settled against client for no economic remuneration. The claims of several opt-out plaintiffs are proceeding.
- Represented global food and beverage company in food labeling lawsuit.
- Defended a national retail chain in a class action alleging the false and deceptive labeling of organic milk.
- Defended a California food grower in an employment class action alleging violations of California’s wage and hour laws.
- Resolved a product liability claim against a beverage client brought by a consumer.
- Obtained a $0 settlement on behalf of a beverage client in an action alleging claims of trademark infringement and unfair competition under the Lanham Act in federal court in Minnesota.
- Negotiated a non-monetary settlement on behalf of a food company in a trademark infringement action venued in the Western District of Texas.
- Won pre-discovery summary judgment in federal court on behalf of ATM owner in class action litigation.
- Negotiated an early $0 settlement on behalf of a local bank in an ADA lawsuit.
- Settled case just prior to trial for significant sum in favor of Australian Investment Banking firm against joint venturer accused of misappropriation of corporate opportunity and breach of fiduciary duty during development of a biodiesel refinery.
- Obtained favorable resolution for a biofuel client against an engineering firm hired to construct a biofuel refinery based on claims of professional malpractice and fraud.
- Effectively enforced non-compete agreement against former employee and new employer.
- Worked on numerous antitrust class actions, including: In re Cathode Ray Tube (CRT) Antitrust Litigation (MDL No. 05-cv-0979 (N.D. Cali.)); In re Ready-Mixed Concrete Antitrust Litigation (05-cv-0979 (S.D. Ind.)); and Bulk Graphite Antitrust Litigation (D. N.J.).
- Involved in various other class actions, including: Activated Carbon-Based Hunting Clothing Marketing and Sales Practices Litigation (MDL No. 2059 D. Minn.) (Consumer fraud claims against outdoor clothing companies for false advertising); and Lawnmower Engines Horsepower Marketing & Sales Practices Litigation (MDL No. 1999 E.D. Wis.) (Alleging RICO, consumer fraud, civil conspiracy and unjust enrichment claims against manufacturers of lawn mowers and lawn mower engines).
- Selected as a Minnesota Super Lawyer® (2013-2017)
- Selected as a Rising Star® (2012)
- Pro Bono volunteer, Volunteer Lawyers Network, 2004 - Present
- Heins Mills & Olson, Associate
- Honorable Raymond L. Erickson, Chief Magistrate, U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota, Law Clerk
- Briggs and Morgan, Shareholder
- Stoel Rives, Attorney
Current Employment Position