Business Litigation And Counsel
- Business & Commercial Litigation
- Class Actions
- Financial Institutions and Broker Dealers
- Food & Beverage
- General Counsel
Kathy is an experienced litigation and commercial attorney who joined Rock Hutchinson as a Senior Attorney in 2019. Kathy focuses her practice on complex commercial and contract litigation for a wide variety of corporate clients, including hospitals, financial institutions, and food and beverage companies. Kathy also provides a broad range of corporate counseling and transactional services to clients in the food and agribusiness industries.
Kathy and her family relocated to Minneapolis from San Antonio, Texas, where she formerly served as the Original Proceedings Staff Attorney to the Fourth Court of Appeals. Her role at the Court involved responsibility for complex legal research, drafting opinions for Justices, and management of the docket of majority, concurring and dissenting opinions through to publication. Prior to her role at the Fourth Court, Kathy's private practice included briefing appeals before several Texas intermediate Courts of Appeal, the Texas Supreme Court, the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit and the United States Supreme Court. Kathy continues to apply her appellate experience to assist clients through the appellate process in Minnesota.
Kathy began her legal career in 2004 as a Briefing Attorney to the Honorable Justice Phylis J. Speedlin, an Associate Appellate Justice at the Fourth Court of Appeals in Texas. After completing this one-year position, Kathy went on to become an associate and then shareholder at Clemens & Spencer, P.C. where her litigation practice included representation of attorneys and other professionals in malpractice and fiduciary litigation, commercial and corporate litigation, personal injury and products liability matters, and contract and policy review for corporate clients. Kathy has handled litigation matters up to and including trial and appeal, arbitration cases, mediations, administrative law matters and grievances before professional review and licensing boards.
Contact Kathy by e-mailing her at [email protected] or by calling her at (612) 573-3661.
- Minnesota Bank & Trust v. 11 Water LLC, et al., A21-0008 (Minn. Ct. App. 2021) Obtained and successfully defended a multi-million dollar summary judgment on appeal for banking industry client in a defaulted commercial loan matter.
- Fairview Health Services v. Quest Software, Inc., 20-cv-01326 (SRN/LIB) (D. Minn. 2021) Represented a large hospital system in a software licensing dispute against Quest Software, Inc.
- Represented U.S. Bancorp Investments, Inc. in several FINRA arbitration matters.
- United States Supreme Court
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- United States District Court for the District of Minnesota
- United States District Court for the Western District of Texas
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- Original Proceedings Staff Attorney, Fourth Court of Appeals of Texas 2013-2016
- Associate and Shareholder, Clemens & Spencer, P.C. 2005-2013
- Briefing Attorney, Fourth Court of Appeals of Texas 2004-2005
- Law Clerk, Higdon, Hardy & Zuflacht, L.L.P. 2003
- Judicial Intern, U.S. District Court, Western District of Texas 2002
- Texas Department of Protective & Regulatory Services 1993-2001
- American Law Institute member, elected 2011
- Former Adjunct Professor, St. Mary’s University School of Law and Mitchell Hamline School of Law
- St. Mary's University School of Law, San Antonio, Texas
- J.D. - 2004
- The University of Georgia, Athens, Georgia
- M.S. - 1993
- Major: Child & Family Development
- Texas A&M University, College Station, Texas
- B.S. - 1991
- Major: Psychology
- Texas Super Lawyer Rising Star, 2007 - 2008
Classes & Seminars
- Adjunct Professor, St. Mary’s University School of Law, Legal Research & Writing
- Minnesota Women Lawyers
Current Employment Position
- Senior Attorney, 2019